Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Brief Update

Becky and I met with Dr. Lara Mattax at the Tulsa Developmental Pediatrics Center last Tuesday regarding Zach's possible autism. We spent about an hour being interviewed about his speech, behaviors, etc. Dr. Mattax was great. She was easy to talk to and at no point did I feel uncomfortable with any of the questions she had. She was very informative and didn't shy away from being truthful with us. At the end I believe we all felt like autism is unlikely however still a possibility. He definitely has a speech delay and will need some therapy which Becky has already started checking into. She has found a local program that will be good and affordable. Overall I think we both came out of the session feeling better about the situation.

Next week we will return to the TDPC with Zach so that Dr. Mattax can observe him. This will take 1-2 hours and Becky and I are welcome to be in the room with him to help make him more comfortable. We will then return the following day for her official diagnosis.

Thanks for the prayers.

On a side note. We found out today that a friend of ours has been diagnosed with stage 4 breast cancer. I believe this is her third bout (if the first bout ever really ends) with the nasty disease. Please keep her in your prayers.

1 comment:

Erin said...

Wow, had no idea... how are things now?