Thursday, September 18, 2008

Fighting














No, these kids aren't fighting. Our pastor Ed wrote on our church blog today about "Fighting when it counts". This isn't about physical fist fighting but more about fighting for our faith. He mentions the team concept in sports and how athletes fight alongside their teammates to win. A good teammate will encourage those who need encouraging during their fight to win.

In the few soccer games I've attended of Will's I find myself encouraging him from the sidelines to run faster, kick the ball, etc. I want him to do his best and I'll be there if he needs my support. I want to be there to cheer him on. When he comes over to the sideline I want to be there to give him a high 5 and say great job! Tonight he has practice so that he and his team can get better.

As Christians we should do the same. We should encourage others when they are down or just need a little cheering on. Sometimes I need someone to tell me to run faster or cheer me on or go to practice with me. I need to get better. I need someone to make sure I'm getting to practice. I've been riding the bench for a while and it's about time for me to get in the game and help my teammates. How about you? Are you riding the bench or are you out there helping your team? Do you need someone to help you with your fight? Is there someone around you that needs a high 5?

The following is one of my favorite passages in the Bible.
Imitating Christ's Humility - Philippians 2:1-11 NIV
1If you have any encouragement from being united with Christ, if any comfort from his love, if any fellowship with the Spirit, if any tenderness and compassion, 2then make my joy complete by being like-minded, having the same love, being one in spirit and purpose. 3Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves. 4Each of you should look not only to your own interests, but also to the interests of others.

5Your attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus:
6Who, being in very nature[a] God,
did not consider equality with God something to be grasped,
7but made himself nothing,
taking the very nature[b] of a servant,
being made in human likeness.
8And being found in appearance as a man,
he humbled himself
and became obedient to death—
even death on a cross!
9Therefore God exalted him to the highest place
and gave him the name that is above every name,
10that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow,
in heaven and on earth and under the earth,
11and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord,
to the glory of God the Father.

4 comments:

Erin said...

Very true!

The pink uniforms are cracking me up... nothing wrong with them, just not what I am used to seeing on boys!

I finally got you linked to my blog. Yeah! And I have a couple of questions for you: How did you make your header? And your Fireproof widget looks so much better than mine, I cannot get that code to go away that keeps showing up. Any tips?

Shelley said...

Remember your legacy!

Really, good blog. Keep it up. And, I like your header, too!

Patrick said...

Thanks Shelley!

Patrick said...

Erin,

First off... there is something wrong with the pink uniforms but the kids don't care.

I used Adobe Photoshop Elements to make my header. If you have the software I can tell you how to do it. If you don't have it...you may be able to use other software to make a header but I'm not sure.

On your fireproof widget copy the code but not the image itself.

After you copy it, go to your blog where you edit the layout. Click on "Add a Gadget" and then chose "HTML/JavaScript". Once there, paste the code into the content area. You can add a title at the top if you choose. Click save and you should be done. Make sure it looks ok and then delete the old one if you haven't already.